Three reasons why you should not install PowerSmash browser plug-in
PowerSmash is a malicious application that can easily get inside the system undetected and start initiating annoying browser redirections. It’s a well-known developer of potentially unwanted programs that have been actively spread in a bundle with freeware and shareware. Such programs are known for stealth infiltration of the computer, arbitrary modifications on the victim’s PC and other unpleasant activities. As this malware infection may sneak onto your system along with other malicious software installers, chances are you are facing multiple malware threats. Secondly, it changes the settings of browsers immediately after it sneaks onto the computer. Although they inform about adding their toolbar at one of the steps of installation, you may skip this step without noticing and end up receiving extra program.
PowerSmash browser hijacker replaces your default homepage, search engine and a new tab page the moment it is installed on your computer’s system. The scan is fake and as such it produces fake results. However, next to these features, this program is used to make easy money from advertising. It completely disturbs your browsing and may reroute to malicious websites where your computer can be infected. These links might appear on the search results page and you might simply not notice that.
What issues does this PUP cause and how does it perform?
Needless to say, these redirects are not good for you. Being more attentive can help you to avoid many unwanted programs like the latter one. If you were to use PowerSmash as a regular search engine, it would redirect your search queries to Blpsearch.com which would, in turn, redirect them to a modified Yahoo.com search engine. That does not sound too bad, now does it? The search results it displays, besides the legitimate domains rendered by Yahoo Search, includes 3rd party websites which cannot be trusted as among them may be phishing websites, for instance. Therefore, we have provided a full guide how to do it below this article.
The PowerSmash removal is not an easy process because it does not have an uninstaller, meaning that users have to find its folder with files themselves and only then delete it. The browser hijacker does that so it could collect information on your web browsing habits. It means you will not be able to download the program one more time from the official website because you will still be able to convert videos on fastPowerSmashconverter.com. But when you use it for searching the web, you can land on a manipulated customized search results page that could contain questionable content, such as unreliable third-party ads and sponsored links. Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs list and uninstall it from there. To identify them, scanning with Anti-Malware Tool or other reputable antispyware tool might be useful. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
How to entirely remove PowerSmash browser hijacker from the computer?
There is the link Uninstall at the bottom of the main search page of PowerSmash, which redirects to the Uninstall page, supposedly providing the service of the PowerSmash’s uninstallation from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer web browsers. This way you will make sure that your system is absolutely safe, and there are not unwanted programs on board. If you any questions, regarding the elimination of this parasite, scroll down and leave a comment. If you see any pre-selected confirmation boxes suggesting to change your start page or a search provider to PowerSmash, always deselect them. This hijacker uses a redirection to Yahoo; Otherwise, the change will be made by default.
Manual PowerSmash Removal Guide
Step 1. Uninstall PowerSmash and related programs
- Open Start menu and click Control Panel
- Choose Add or remove programs
- Select the unwanted application
- Click Remove
Windows 7 and Vista
- Click Start and select Control Panel
- Go to Uninstall a program
- Right-click on the suspicious software
- Select Uninstall
- Move cursor to the bottom left corner
- Right-click and open Control Panel
- Select Uninstall a program
- Delete unwanted application
Step 2. Remove PowerSmash from your browsers
Remove PowerSmash from Internet Explorer
- Open IE and click on the Gear icon
- Select Manage add-ons
- Remove unwanted extensions
- Change your home page: Gear icon → Internet Options (General tab)
- Reset your browser: Gear icon → Internet Options (Advanced tab)
- Click Reset, check the box and click Reset again
Delete PowerSmash from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla and click on the menu
- Choose Add-ons and go to Extensions
- Select unwanted add-on and click Remove
- Reset Mozilla: Alt+H → Troubleshooting Information
- Click Reset Firefox, confirm it and click Finish
Uninstall PowerSmash from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome and click on the menu
- Select Tools → Extensions
- Choose the add-on and click Trash can icon
- Change your search engine: Menu → Settings
- Click Manage search engines under Search
- Delete undesirable search provider
- Reset your browser: Settings → Reset browser settings
- Click Reset to confirm your action